[AccessD] Clearing the decks for MySQL

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Wed Nov 23 19:38:01 CST 2011

Hi John,

I am just forwarding some links I sent someone else the other day regarding the same issue:

Debian:
  http://wiki.debian.org/WindowsServerHyperV
CentOS:
  http://www.hyper-v-mart.com/Howto/Install_CentOS_5_VM_Step_by_Step.aspx
Ubuntu:
  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/961.aspx

My personal preference is Debian (for more reasons than I can possibly list in a short email) and installing software is pretty easy. To install MySQL, all it takes is to write (as root user on the command line):

# apt-get install mysql-server

You may choose to do some additional configuration after that point. You will find those in the file: /etc/mysql/my.cnf

Then, to start or stop the MySQL server, type either:
# /etc/init.d/mysql start
or
# /etc/init.d/mysql stop

========================

Of course, this is for MySQL, not for MariaDB. Unfortunately, MariaDB has not yet been included into the default software repositories for Debian (or any of the others, I imagine), but you can install the packages from MariaDBs website.

I personally recommend, though, that you set it up in your software repositories, as then you will be informed when there are updates and you can use the systems update mechanism to upgrade/patch things for you, rather than having to do it all manually. It's not hard to add Monty's repositories. If you follow this (http://downloads.askmonty.org/mariadb/repositories/), it will give you some lines to add to the file: /etc/apt/sources.list

Once you add then, run the command:
# apt-get update
This will refresh the repository database. Then search for software package name:
# apt-cache search mariadb
This will list software packages with their name and description. Use that name with the following command:
# apt-get install {name}

Most likely it will be:
#apt-get install mariadb

Pretty trivial.