[AccessD] Clearing the decks for MySQL

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Nov 24 23:24:05 CST 2011

Some application go and some stay. We have to look no further than Google,
Microsoft, Adobe or Oracle to see how many applications they have bailed on,
in even the last year. That is the nature of the business.

We can look at other applications like Linux, MySQL, Apache, MS Word,
Windows and hundreds more and these ones have survived and have become part
of the computer infrastructure. MariaDB is MySQL, same designer, same code.

I have been using DBDesigner 4 for about 8 years and the creators are long
gone. It is still great at building MS SQL and MySQL schemas from graphics.
Interesting to note that the "ta-lib" set of tools are been redesigned as of
May 2011, but by a different company, this time with a GNU license.

Just like MS Access, it is not dead and people will be using it for years
even if Microsoft abandons it all together. Which might not be a bad thing
as then some unrestricted developers could Open Source it, rebuild the
application, with C# (RonR, F#, C++) instead of VB, translator from VB to
C#, full web interface and with a DB BE that would even make Oracle shutter.

My thought is do not worry, do your research, just pick some nice tools or
applications that does what you need and then abandon it when it doesn't.
There is always another great application coming along. OTOH, just like the
song say, "...know when to hold, know when to fold, know when to walk away,
know when to run..."

Jim