[AccessD] Clearing the decks for MySQL

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Nov 25 12:43:10 CST 2011

That is correct. One of Microsoft's very reliable revenue streams is product
support. ;-)

A company may need a piece of software to run their business and they will
just hire a software developer to add some enhancements for their purposes
and then hire an integrator to assemble a group of packages. They will of
course know any improvements dealing directly with the core will have to be
added back to the license but they will have a complete set of source code
at the end, which is an ultimate form of business security.

All these transactions of course make money, the software continues to
evolve and improve at a much more rapid pace than proprietary designed
products. (You only have to look at how long IE6 languished and how fast
such products like FF evolved. To MS's credit, they have worked very hard to
keep pace but do not have the number of programmers and they are just
viewing the support of IE as nothing more than the cost of doing business.)

The business is more like a code rental where the renters are encouraged to
make improvements, than a product purchase, so the renters are no longer
stuck to the whims of a proprietary system and continuous licensing fees.

I for one, have probably spent a lot of money on donating to various Open
Source products, 10, 25 and sometimes a hundred, over the years. If I like
the software, I like to encourage it. To add a political note; Open Source
software can be viewed as a blend of socialized software and
free-enterprise, both in their purest forms.

Jim