[AccessD] Windows 8

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Mon Nov 28 15:45:06 CST 2011

At this stage Windows 8 is two different OSs as far as developers are concerned:

1. Desktop Windows
2. Tablet Windows

You will  need to develop for one of the other.
They use  different UI paradigms
They use  different APIs
They use different development tools.

They will frequently run on different processors  - dekstop native code will not be
cross-compatible - so if you build a complied to run on an Intel desktop, it will not run on an
ARM tablet

Note that every one of the listed things is about tablets and "uers apps".

I don't see business-centric, data intensive applications running on a metro interface or a
tablet for a long time to come.   With Windows 8 in a business environment, users will switch
on, log in, click oon the Desktop Icon and then function the way they do now.  They only part
of Metro they will see on this work PC will be the logon screen.

It may be the next great thing if developers and users go for it and it makes huge inroads in
the mobile market.

Or it may be the death knell for Microsoft as an OS selller - You could be looking at a
massive shift to Android/Linux in the next few years if it doesn't go down well in the
marketplace.

--
Stuart