[AccessD] Cloud Development

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Nov 30 12:28:20 CST 2011

LOL, and then there is data and bandwidth limits.

My work is on data where I select records with gigabytes of data, select a few million, get those
into csv files and email or ftp to a site.  I move hundreds of gigs of data back and forth doing
this just for a single order.

So for the house hold pc perhaps, for companies, it seems unlikely.  Someday of course (50 years
from now?) all the data will just reside in the cloud, will be manipulated on systems in the cloud,
and will be delivered to its destination in the cloud.  But that won't happen until things get much
more reliable and everyone understands how to do this "cloud thing".

I get DVDs for crying out loud, with zip files, filled with data which I have to extract and get
into the format I can use.  I got 100 gigs of raw data in fixed width format on a dozen DVDs, and I
have to pull that into SQL Server, strip out the padding spaces and get into real tables.

And of course, relative to "Star Trek" kinds of systems we are still in the horse and buggy days.

We have come a very long way in just the last 20 years in terms of infrastructure.  Remember in 1990
when we were dialing up servers on modems and praying for 12 kbit connections?  In 1999 (when I
lived in Mexico) I was dialing into servers up in the US to do remote desktop (VNC).

But as Jim says, "out in the country"...

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it