[AccessD] What would Drew think?

Kenneth W Van Huss kvanhuss at airrsystem.com
Thu Oct 6 20:07:57 CDT 2011

Many of you may not know that Drew was not formally trained in computer
science but was self taught.  He learned many things on his own, and as such
named his discoveries to what suited him.  Sometimes his discoveries were
already known by other names in the development community.  I remember about
9 years ago him telling me about "streamlining" or "downsizing" tables (that
may not be what he called it as it was a long time ago).  He said he was
"talking" about it on the AccessD list and someone used the term normalizing
a table, and if I remember correctly there was banter on the list about it.
He was serious at the time, and thought normalization didn't really fit the
situation.  Some of you may recall the details, and I may not be conveying
it correctly.  But it was funny to me back then.

Drew learned so much on his own, and didn't live within the limits or
restraints of what Microsoft imposed.  When he first started using ASP.NET,
he felt Microsoft had taken away features that he found useful and used
frequently in ASP.  So he somehow hacked out a solution that gave him what
Microsoft had taken away so the he could make .NET work the way he felt it
should.

For those old enough to know what an Enigma machine was, or those
knowledgeable of WWII history, Drew created a program that emulated it.  And
these things he did for fun and entertainment.  And don't tell Drew it can't
be done.  That was like a personal challenge, and he would show you it could
be done just to prove you wrong.

These are some of the many memories I have of Drew.

Respectfully,

Kenneth Van Huss