[AccessD] OK so Windows 7 has issues too

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Oct 28 22:22:35 CDT 2011

:)

Actually I am not sure where the problem lies.  I am trying to see all the machines on my network.
This is a workgroup and everyone except my UnRaid Linux server (Tower) belong to the same workgroup.

1) In my 2008R2 server (Hyper-V server) I see 12 machines if you ignore the tsclient.  This includes
Tower and three VMs.

2) In Azul (Windows 2008) I see 12 machines - same as 1 above.

3) In my new Windows 7 Home premium I see 7 machines.  Missing are Azul (Windows 2008), both HTPC
machines (also Windows 7), one of my VMs (Windows 2003) and both windows xp machines.

4) In a Windows 7 Professional VM I see 7 machines.  Missing are the Windows 7 HTPCs and the two XP
machines.

I found something (very crude) that would find every IP address on the network and from my new
laptop everything does show up, and I can ping everything but everything does not show in the
network map.  Another PFM thing going on here.

If I know the computer name I can remote desktop in to all of them (except the Windows 7 home
machines of course) so everything is definitely out there, just not visible.  that kinda sucks
because I often share and push files around to machines based on the shares.

That just made me wonder if the machines that are missing might not have any shares or something.
But why do both Server 2008 machines (on opposite physical ends of the network) see every single
machine on the network, but the Windows 7 Home laptop plugged into the same switch as the Hyper-v
Server 2008 machine only show 7 machines?

Sing it, with gusto..,.

This is the stuff,
That drives me crazy...

Colby Consulting