[AccessD] Windows can be so much fun

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Oct 29 19:38:20 CDT 2011

I bought a laptop from a friend.  The laptop was provided "Michael Laptop" as a "registered user"
when it was turned on the first time (I suppose).  I created my own user, deleted his etc but every
time I want to install anything it says it will be registered to "Michael Laptop".  I went looking
through the registry for Michael Laptop and holy smoke batman, it is *everywhere*!!!  Probably 50
different registry keys, perhaps a hundred, mostly "install paths" pointing to a now non-existent
user roaming directory.

It is no damned wonder that the registry causes so many problems.

I did find two specific places where there is a key called "registered user" which I changed to my
name.  We shall see if that makes me the registered user.

Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it