[AccessD] OT - John Colby - volunteer work with Prisons - Minnesota Public Radio program

Brad Marks BradM at blackforestltd.com
Tue Oct 4 13:23:11 CDT 2011

John,

On several of your posts here on AccessD, you mentioned volunteer work
that you help with involving prisoners.

Yesterday, I caught the tail-end of a program on Minnesota Public Radio
regarding a recent study that was conducted regarding the statistics of
prisoners getting into trouble again after they are released.  I believe
that they said that the number 1 factor of whether a prisoner breaks the
law or not after being released is the number of visitors that they had
while in prison.  (The more visitors they had while in prison, resulted
in much fewer repeat offenders).

Because of the high cost of incarcerating criminals, people who visit
prisoners may be saving a lot of money for tax-payers and not even be
aware of this factor.

I will try to see if this program is on the MPR website.  If I find it,
I will email the link to you.  Pretty interesting.

Keep up the good work!

Brad