[AccessD] 10 things I don't miss about Access

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Oct 8 11:51:20 CDT 2011

 >but it has two serious problems that nothing can be done about; corruption and sensitivity to its
environment.

Add another serious limitation, single threaded operation.
And for programmers, lack of any kind of inheritance.

I tried to build a sql server driver application in Access and failed miserably, and I have about as
good a grasp of VBA as you will find.  SQL Server would go out and do something for 15 minutes and
the Access interface just locked up.  SQL Server can do one or a hundred things simultaneously, but
Access can only cause it to do one thing at a time, because Access only has one thread.

I switched to C# and voila, I have a manager and three supervisors (4 threads) running asynchronous
tasks simultaneously.  SQL Server is doing BCP out and BCP in simultaneously and a supervisor is
shoveling the files out to a VM for third party processing and pulling result files back in when
that app is finished with a file.

All with three separate status panes announcing progress to the user (me).  Updating SQL Server
supervisor and process flags to log the state of the process.

C# is in another league entirely in terms of raw ability.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting