[AccessD] Windows can be so much fun

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Oct 31 10:38:58 CDT 2011

LOL.  I have to say I have built a couple of low end systems but what I do is go shop the low end of
the latest (or one step back) motherboards / processors.  Today that means an AM3 motherboard and
processor.  Or better AM3+ motherboard and an AM3 processor.

What is happening right now is that the DDR3 has crossed the "lowest average cost" threshold and
replaced DDR2.  I just finished replacing my VM server.  I am using my old quad core but in a new
AM3+ with new DDR3 ram.  I spent about $180 for my motherboard and $80 for 16 gigs of ram.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131736

But I already had a low end graphics card and I already had my processor.  I thought that $260 was a
darned good price for a state of the art motherboard and memory.  I am still hanging out waiting for
the new FX series processors to solidify.  I figure that the prices will start to drop as AMD admits
that they don't compete against Intel at their current price point.  Probably early next year AMD
will release the first major update to the chip itself making it a better bargain as well.  I can wait.

The whole integrated graphics thing is a huge draw, believe me I know.  When I built my HTPCs I used
hand me downs from my old servers which had the integrated video.  For that purpose it worked
swimmingly.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away