[AccessD] User interface

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Sep 2 14:17:06 CDT 2011

Hi Arthur:

I went to a very interesting talk about a year ago to do with the physiology
behind the UI. The company that was doing the presentation made their living
by redesigning UI for product development companies.

One of their main claims to fame was that they worked with Apple and Google,
in design work. There were so many components of UIs, that they covered,
that most of the little things were forgotten.

The main points I remember was:

1. Keep it lean...less is more.
2. A pretty and very clean design is as important or maybe more important
than the actual application. (Spending half an hour on rounded curves and
shadows may be you best time investment.)
3. Use graphics...people do not read.
4. When using text, the less text the better and font choice and weight and
giving emphasis to key points or words is best.

When I am deciding on an interface, checking out an Apple or Google app is a
good way to refresh memory.

Jim