[AccessD] freelancing job sites-Sisyphus Syndrome

Mark Simms marksimms at verizon.net
Fri Sep 2 15:59:16 CDT 2011

Re: "Been on the same gig for over 2 years..."

That's hugely unusual these days. Most large corps have "rules" in place
that disallow temp employment past 12 or 18 months.

You should be so grateful for this long, long gig....and I am sure any
agency that has represented you has given you at least an "atta boy".
In the past 3 years I've only been able to get "stinkers".....short term,
high pressure, low pay deals.
It does appear as if the Indian companies have garnished all of the "Sweet
deals".
Every 3 months I am re-interviewing by phone and in person, re-profiling my
background, updating references, updating resumes, etc.

I call this the Sisyphus syndrome:

"Camus outlines the legend of Sisyphus who defied the gods and put Death in
chains so that no human needed to die. When Death was eventually liberated
and it came time for Sisyphus himself to die, he concocted a deceit which
let him escape from the underworld. Finally captured, the gods decided on
his punishment: for all eternity, he would have to push a rock up a
mountain; on the top, the rock rolls down again and Sisyphus has to start
over. Camus sees Sisyphus as the absurd hero who lives life to the fullest,
hates death and is condemned to a meaningless task."

"Camus presents Sisyphus's ceaseless and pointless toil as a metaphor for
modern lives spent working at futile jobs in factories and offices. The
workman of today works every day in his life at the same tasks, and this
fate is no less absurd. But it is tragic only at the rare moments when it
becomes conscious."