[AccessD] freelancing job sites-Sisyphus Syndrome

Mark Simms marksimms at verizon.net
Sat Sep 3 09:16:40 CDT 2011

> We have been having the same issues around here for years. The
> government
> wants to make sure that you are not working as a full-time employee for
> someone but only registering as a contractor.

What this "rule" did was to give complete and utter control to the AGENCIES
that one is now forced to go thru unless you can afford a marketing
department to go "direct".
Agencies continue to flourish....now that's a great business to be in.
They've been successful despite the Indianization of the IT consulting
business in the USA. Most of them have at least a 50% of their billable
consultants as foreigners....I garnished this from my last Fortune 500
companies Activedirectory which listed all contractors and agencies.

Lastly, many large companies treat their favored agency reps like "rock
stars" as if THEY really make a big contribution to that company when in
fact, it's the CONSULTANT who makes the contribution, but never sees the
accolades. At my last gig, I never saw my agent....in fact he didn't spend
any effort at all getting to know me or anything. For 6 months effort, his
agency pulled in about $20,000.......barely having to raise a finger.