[AccessD] Wish List.

Darryl Collins darryl at whittleconsulting.com.au
Thu Sep 8 18:48:17 CDT 2011

Aaah, thanks everyone for their thoughts and comments. It is entirely
possible that I am just doing this the hard way (wouldn't be the first
time).   Anyway, I will probably end up using tabs like always.

I don't like the way you have to leave the label visible at the top of the
page though - even if only one tab is displayed. Visually it is not what I
want, but I guess its all I have to work with.

Anyway, didn't mean to get folks fired up about what is a tab or what is a
page.  Sometimes I think it would be nice if you could take the best of all
the software UI and include it in a single package.

Ok: Here is another prime example of poor user functionality - or more like
sheer bloody laziness on behalf of MSoft.  If I am using Firefox tabs in the
browser, right on the *Active* tab there is a little "X" on the RHS of that
tab that allows you to close it. Nice and useful, don't have to move the
mouse far and it is darn clear which tab you are going to close.

In A2007 (which uses a tab setup to display all the open DB objects such as
forms, tables, queries etc) the close button is on the extreme RHS of the
*Screen* - freakin miles away from where you are actually working.  Now I
have huge widescreen monitor at work and if I have single tab open there is
about 1 foot (say 28 cms) of screen real estate between the active tab I am
working on, and the little 'close tab' "x" on the RHS of the screen.  Even
more annoying is if you have many tabs open, you need to double check the
one want to close is indeed the active tab before pressing the "x"

 - ok there are other ways of closing the tab, such as right mouse click
directly on the tab, but why on earth didn't they just put the close "X" on
the active tab like everyone else does.

Little gripes, I wouldn't mind so much if I didn't have to pay MS so darn
much for their software.  I don't mind paying, but I expect better
functionality and performance than I can get for free from other vendors.

Heh, can you tell I need a coffee ;)

Cheers
Darryl.