[AccessD] The coming in-memory database tipping point. - SQL Server Team Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Apr 16 06:58:21 CDT 2012

 > John your test for reality sounds good but is very hard to prove because to do so I would have to
stop believing in something that exists, with very little positive feedback the meanwhile. Is there
an easier test?

It has always amazed me how some people cling to the notion that their belief somehow changes
reality.  In fact there is an entire philosophy that "I believe therefore I am".  In fact it is "I
think, therefore I am" but implicit in that statement is the belief that that statement (and the
self) is true.

The fact is that whether we believe or don't makes absolutely no difference to reality.  Believe in
the bus or not, it's gonna hurt if you step in front of it.  Believe you can fly or not, you will
reach the same terminal velocity regardless (and make the same size splat).  ;)

I hear people say "I don't believe in God" as if that makes all the difference in the world.  Or "I
don't believe in evolution" as if that makes those damned germs stop evolving to be drug resistant.
  In fact it never ceases to amuse me when people profess to disbelieve in evolution but then
discuss with great gusto how household cleaners are creating super germs.

Believe or don't believe, it makes no difference at all.  What it does change is how you behave of
course, which does impact the world around you, but it makes no impact on the reality of what you
believe or don't believe in.

Believe or don't believe, makes no damned difference to me.  Or reality.

:)

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away