[AccessD] Adobe Acrobat dropping drawn lines when converting to PDF

Charlotte Foust charlotte.foust at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 23:57:15 CDT 2012

I'm banging my head against this one, and it just started a couple of days
ago out of the blue.  I'm using Acrobat 9 Standard (employer's machine) to
print long "letters" (reports, about 8 pages per "letter") from Access
2003.  All the grid lines, including both line controls and lines drawn
using the Line method of the report were printing out to PDFs until this
past weekend.  Suddenly, Acrobat has starting randomly losing lines here
and there.  It's the most maddening thing I've run into because there
doesn't seem to be a fix for it.  The issue has been discussed
intermittently on the web for years, but I haven't found a solution that
actually works and continues to work.  The advice is contradictory ( lower
the dpi to 300, no raise the dpi to 1200, no ....) and some of the
solutions seem to work once, but the next time you try it, the problem
reappears.  I'm going to get them to uninstall and reinstall adobe
tomorrow, but I wondered if any of you have run into this?

Interestingly, the Lebans solution appears to work better than the PDF
printer except that the report files being generated are apparently too
large and cause the snapshot to crash before it can complete.   I've been
fighting this for nearly a week, and I'm getting cranky!  It isn't just a
display issue either.  The lines are there in the reports and print to a
printer properly, but some of them go awol when sent to the Adobe PDF
printer.  I don't have a choice on the output method, so I'm looking for
answers.

Any suggestions?  I'm getting far too old for this kind of irritation and
I'm going to start whacking people with my cane if things don't get
better!  ;-)

Charlotte Foust