[AccessD] The coming in-memory database tipping point. - SQL Server Team Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Apr 22 20:43:18 CDT 2012

While we generally think of evolution time scales in thousands or millions of years, in fact all
there is is now and evolution operates on a second by second basis.  Speed of reproduction rather
than time span per se is really the determining factor for the speed of evolution.  IOW the number
of offspring per unit of time.  Rabbits, who breed like ... well.. rabbits will evolve faster (adapt
to changes) that some animal that has one offspring every few years (Elephants?).  Which is why
insects and microorganisms adapt in the span of months or years to pesticides or house hold cleaners.

And mutations do not necessarily completely displace the original, or necessarily die off.  Blue
eyes in humans for example are a mutation:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080130170343.htm

which shows no sign of dying out, nor taking over.  Given that the mutation occurred a mere 10,000
years ago it could be argued that it will eventually (in a million years) prove to be a hindrance or
assistance and affect survivability but that seems unlikely.

Did you know that there is now a laser treatment which can turn brown eyes blue?

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2011-11/laser-treatment-turns-your-eyes-brown-blue
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/medical/health/medical/story/2011-11-08/Laser-treatment-may-turn-brown-eyes-blue/51126590/1

The things people will do...

John W. Colby