[AccessD] Strange happenings (Rather OT, but Advice is appreciated)

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Fri Apr 27 22:15:24 CDT 2012

I honestly still don't believe it's a hard drive failure, because of the way the way NTFS structures your partition and file table etc. You wouldn't see files magically missing. If it were that your hard drive was failing, you'd probably still see those files/directories, although opening them would throw an error or the OS would lock up trying to access them.

It could be some other component of your computer is failing, such as the IDE/SATA controller, but such an event would more likely mean your system can't boot at all.

You haven't mentioned any other oddities such as loud clicking noises, slowness or other such weird behaviour, so I still think it is more likely to be a software failure.

This is the software I used to recover my damaged drive and it was a complete success.

http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

It's not free and I dislike their policy of only allowing the registration code to be used a set number of times (make sure you install it under the administrator account on Windows!), but it did the job well and I had no problems with garbled file names or any such thing.

Let us know what the conclusion to your issue is, as this is an interesting case.

- Hans

Sent from my iPhone