[AccessD] Strange happenings (Rather OT, but Advice is appreciated)

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Apr 29 19:41:06 CDT 2012

Power issues have been blamed on many things and myself and a few hardware
suppliers agree that, in some cases, there is no other logical reason.

The hardware in a computer is very delicate and can be easily affected but
surges but the worse is brown-outs. Brown-outs are not something that a
surge protector can block, for this you have to have a UPS.

Had a client who was continually complaining of corrupted files but when we
had attached a UPS to the computer's power supply the problem was solved and
shortly there after the cause was discovered. Every time some one started
the copier the UPS would beep so they moved the copier to another circuit.

I have another client who has a group of computers in a warehouse. Every
couple of years we had to replace the units and they always failed and it
was some weird problem on the mother board. We finally put a UPS on every
new computer and some of the units are now four years old. It turned out
that a large refrigerating unit was drawing huge amounts of power and
hammering the computers.

Now of course this may not be the problem but it is the first place I would
look...especially if the cause is not consistent or apparent.

Jim