[AccessD] OT: C#, MonoTouch, MonoDroid, Apple MacBook Pro 17" QuadCore i7 etc.

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Tue Aug 7 11:09:32 CDT 2012

Hi All --

I'm considering "jumping at" mobile/tablet apps development first of all using C#, WinRT, WinPhone SDK (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29233) , Monodroid (http://xamarin.com/monoforandroid) and  Monotouch (http://xamarin.com/monotouch/) . Monotouch development is currently possible only using an Apple iOS-driven computer. So, I'm asking your advice (first of all Hans' :) ) what would be an "optimal" Apple MacBook 17" QuadCore i7 notebook with up to 16GB RAM, which I can purchase (this fall hopefully) and to use to run MS Windows VM (under Parallels or  VMWare Fusion or ..?.) - MS Windows would still be my main development platform I expect but I need a real Mac computer too...

FYI: "Professional Cross-Platform Mobile Development in C#" (http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Cross-Platform-Mobile-Development-C/dp/1118157702) is a real opportunity and it isn't a "rocket science" AFAIS (I have just finished reading that book a couple of days ago, and I have glanced through its accompanying C# sources, and I have run some samples). Yes, mobile apps development learning/mastering  would require quite some time investment, that's clear, but continuing being iPhone/iPad and Android mobile/tablet development ignorant seems to be nowadays as risky as never (http://techcrunch.com/2012/08/06/kantar-on-smartphones-samsung-45-of-euro-sales-apple-gained-only-in-uk-us-rim-holds-on-in-france/) - I mean mobile apps market promise to be mainly iPhone/Android for many years to come ...

Thank you.

-- Shamil