[AccessD] Save Queries in 2010 - bug?

Darryl Collins darryl at whittleconsulting.com.au
Thu Aug 9 20:38:25 CDT 2012

Hi Guys n Gals,

I have noticed when working with queries in A2010 (say, making a change and then saving or copying a query) that A2010 will take a stupidly long time to save.  Indeed (in-particular for xtabs) it seems to have to run the query first and then save it.  It really should only take milliseconds to save the SQL string, but it doesn't.   If "SaveAs" it as a query and rename - it is instant, but copy / paste it takes it own darn good time.

I don't know if it does the behaviour for all queries (if they are small it saves so fast so I cannot tell).  But you can certainly see this behaviour with complex xtabs.  A right PITA really as the save should be pretty much instant, but it is not - takes as long to save as it does to run it (which is why I suspect it IS running it before save).

Anyone got any suggestions or can throw some light on this...?

Darryl Collins
Whittle Consulting Pty Ltd
Suite 8, 660 Canterbury Rd
Surrey Hills, VIC, 3127