[AccessD] Linking to Separate database

David Emerson newsgrps at dalyn.co.nz
Tue Dec 11 22:15:21 CST 2012

I have an Access 2010 database that resides on a network.

The datafile is to be copied onto laptops for technicians to be able to
enter data out in the field with their own Front ends.  When they return to
the office the idea is to connect the laptop to the network then update
certain records onto the  main datafile.  The records will already be
created before the technicians get their copy.  All the technicians will be
doing is updating existing records.  They will not create new records or
delete any.  Records will only be updated by one laptop between
synchronizations so there is no need to manage conflicts.  The updating is
to be initiated from the laptop FE.

I need to be able to link the laptop FE to the laptop datafile but also have
a way to update the datafile on the network.  My initial thought was to have
the relevant tables also linked in the laptop FE (but of course the link
will only be valid if they are connected to the network).  There are only 4
tables that will need to have records copied over.

Am I going about this the right way, or is there an easier way within code
for creating the links when the synchronizing is to take place?

Regards

David Emerson
Dalyn Software Ltd
Wellington, New Zealand