[AccessD] Access Database on Web

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Sat Dec 29 21:21:43 CST 2012

This would be a good option for someone who wants to stay within the Microsoft sphere of technology, but you just have to be aware of the limitations of the Express version of SQL Server that does not exist on other DB platforms:

ie.
- 10 GB database size limit
- Only uses 1 CPU
- Does not allow you to use more then 1 GB of RAM
etc...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL_Server_Express#Capabilities

It's possible, however, that these limitations are not an issue for Tina, since she originally thought to deploy with Access as the DB backend.

But, if you are expecting these projects to be scalable in size and performance, then SQL Express is a bad option to start with (unless you are anticipating paying Microsoft lots of money for a proper SQL Server license down the line when you hit those limitations). In which case, I'd recommend Postgres as being the best all round database. MySQL's perks are in that it is the most used database out there, so it is a common skill and lots of community support and it too does not have the limitations that exist in SQL Express.

- Hans