[AccessD] Access Database on Web

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Mon Dec 31 07:37:47 CST 2012

<<I can not disagree either Hans or Stuart; they are spot on.>>

 I do.  As Drew pointed out in the past, if you can live with JET
constraints (database size, no on-line backup, etc), JET actually works
quite well as a data store for a web server.  Why?  Because only the
database server software touches the DB.  Users connect through the server
software, not directly to JET. As a result, if the JET DB is on the web
server, it is a very stable situation.  Even more stable then the normal
multi-user scenario that JET is used with.

 The proof of that is Microsoft Exchange.  Up until a release or two ago, it
was all run with JET (slightly different version, but it was still JET).

 Biggest drawback is maintenance; DB can't be on-line while you backup, do a
compact and repair, etc.   Sounds like for this project though it might be
workable.

 However with that said, there is a simpler way to get an Access DB on the
web:

www.eqldata.com

 if you don't mind paying the subscription.  Works exactly like it says it
does.  Take any existing DB and you can put it on the web.  There are some
considerations that need to be made.  In essence, it works the same as if
you were running it under terminal services.

  The other option is Office 2013 and through Office 365 you can get
everything you need to run it (again subscription).  However Access web
databases are not much good for anything other then basic CRUD operations.
VBA is not allowed and what you can do with them is very limited.  However
for what's been outlined, I don't foresee any problems.

  And of course the last option is to run a terminal services server and
have users remote into that, which can be done through a web browser.

Jim.