[AccessD] Fascinating (but schtupid)

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Feb 4 12:14:00 CST 2012

I am working on an Access database which uses ODBC links back to tables as well as views.
Everything was working fine until I created a view which appends a FirstName + ' ' + LastName to
create a name field, for use in a combo.  I have a couple of dozen views which I link into the FE
but this is the only one so far where I do this append kind of thing.  I use these views to sort the
data out at the sql server end and populate my drop down combos in various forms.

When I bind the combo to this view and open the form, a SQL server login form opens several times.
You know the one I mean, the login form which asks whether to use trusted connection or a SQL Server
username / password.  The view itself is fine, I can click on the view and see the data, no login
form etc.

If I bind the row source to the corresponding table and do the append thing inside of Access I also
do not get the login form popping up.

So, bind to a view without this field append happening back in SQL Server, no problem.
Bind to a table and do the field append in the FE itself, no problem.
Open the view with the field append happening in SQL Server, no problem.
Bind to a view with this append happening back in sql server, log in box pops up, several times.

Check this out, if I relink just that view, the error goes away... until I close the database and
re-open it and then the error is back.  Relink the view, gone, close re-open and it's back.

Of course it took me awhile to figure this out.

Doncha just love Access?

Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it