[AccessD] My Comments

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Mon Feb 20 08:15:39 CST 2012

Shamil,

<<AFAIS they (EQLData/com)  run MS Access runtimes on server side and then
use "VNC over RFB" + Flash to communicate with that MS Access application
running on server side.>>

  I know they run it server side, but I am not sure what technology they use
to access it through a web browser window.

<< They also use some proprietary data (I guess that is mainly based on
.SavedAsText/.LoadAsText) to synch local and server side versions of an
application...>>

  I have not used them myself or had a client that has used them, but
someone asking a question on Experts-Exchange decided to give them a try and
was very happy with them.

  It was not quite as transparent as they thought it would be however.  They
had some issues with local printing and the fact that the app was running on
the server (i.e. import/export of files), but you would have those issues in
Citrix/Terminal Services environment regardless.  However they said that
eqldata tech support was very supportive and they had their issues cleaned
up quickly.  Overall, they were quite pleased with the service and the
operation of the DB.

  As for how they "sync" the local DB to the copy running on their server I
have no idea.  They do mention a "plug-in" that needs to be added to the DB,
so they may be doing the .SavedAsText/.LoadAsText thing to get the forms and
reports.  Not sure.

  But for all intents and purposes, you can run an application virtually
un-modified from the way you developed it.  However with SharePoint and
Access services, you need to develop from the start as a "web enabled"
database, which restricts you on the forms and controls that you can use.
Also no VBA code allowed; everything needs to be done via macros and if you
have not used the current 2010 macro editor, then you have missed a good
lesson in patience.

 Current consensus is that for everything but the simplest DB's, it is not
worth it.

<<.But MS Windows native desktop virtualization promise to come true and
relatively inexpensive real soon?>>

 One can only hope.  I was shocked the other day to find out how much work
Microsoft actually did in 2008 with remote desktop services.  You can now
run a VOIP application client side when using RDS, which up until now was
impossible.

Jim.