[AccessD] Access Queries

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Feb 20 13:19:04 CST 2012

There is quite a few developers who imbedded sql code in their FE
applications. If there are numerous people working on a system, the
application is internal to a single small office or people are developing on
"live' SQL BE database, that method may be OK.

To make an application portable I would recommend building your sequel code
as stored procedures and then just pass parameters. It would now not matter
whether your BE is MySQL, MS SQL, Oracle, Postgres and so on particularly as
the SQL is different in each database. So if you decide a new interface (FE)
is needed like ASP.Net or more likely a web FE, it is just an upgrade and
not rebuild. Also note that SPs run significantly faster as they are
pre-optimized/compiled and commonly used SPs are stored in memory.

I like the idea of keeping the FE and BE as standalone and flexible as
possible.

Jim