[AccessD] My Comments

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Feb 20 20:54:35 CST 2012

Good thoughts Darryl.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Darryl Collins
Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2012 5:37 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] My Comments

Bill,

I have found there are many companies that value personal services,
professional attitude, local knowledge and local language skills and an
ability to be fast and flexible over any pure cost metric.  I never try to
be the cheapest, and I never say I am the best (because there is no way I
can honestly achieve either) but I can offer my skills and services in a way
that provides excellent value for the client and allows me to make a decent
enough income.  Given I have had some of my clients for over 10 years now it
is an approach that seems to work, at least for me and them in this part of
the world.

Of course everyone's situation is different - I know our US and Euro friends
are having a very hard time of it right now - The economy is Australia is
still doing ok for most of us.  FWIIW, I have had plenty of roles over the
years where my position has been outsourced to a 3rd party supplier from
another country (usually somewhere in India or Asia). I don't get upset
about it, hell, those folks need jobs and income too, and they have a family
just like I do.  I just move on and play my strengths.  I sure can compete
in ways and places that these organisations cannot.

There is also a bigger picture here.  Frankly the idea of an unstable India
or Pakistan scares me.  Both have nuclear weapons and having a large and
unhappy population who can't get jobs or feed their kids isn't something I
want to see.

Cheers
Darryl.