[AccessD] Access 2010 Native client mystery solved

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Feb 28 07:45:03 CST 2012

I just attempted to create a new DSN directly in Access 2010 on my new test VM and guess what?  No
"Native Client" driver selectable for Access 2010 on that machine.  Yesterday I was reading that the
native driver client is installed when you install SQL Server, thus it appears (if I am reading this
right) that you can only use the native client driver if you have intentionally installed the driver
on a given workstation.

How silly would that be?  One would think it would be part of the Access installation package.

Anyway, AFAICT it is not safe to use native client in Access if you plan to distribute the FE to
workstations (most cases?).

I for one am defaulting to the "SQL Server" driver from here on out.

Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it