[AccessD] Access 2010 Native client mystery solved

Doug Murphy dw-murphy at cox.net
Tue Feb 28 14:17:12 CST 2012

Got it. Thanks John.

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:46 AM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Access 2010 Native client mystery solved

 > Is there a security issue with the Native Client? Do you have a
reference?

No, what I meant is that if the Native Client driver is not installed, and
it probably won't be, then the database unceremoniously pukes if there are
connection strings specifying that driver.

I discovered this because "it works on my system" but not on the client
machines I was trying to install on.  Always embarrassing, especially when
at that time I hadn't a clue why it wasn't working on the client machine.

The reason it "works on my machine" is that in all cases where I was
testing, I had done some sort of SQL Server install, whether full, express
or via Visual Studio.  In order to get a better test case I build a fresh
Virtual Machine and just installed Office 2010 and ... it didn't work with
Native Client drivers specified in the connection string.

I then went out and found, downloaded and installed a dll driver package on
that VM and now it does work.

But I do not want to get in the business of doing that driver install on
every client machine I install a database on.

You see my point.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away