[AccessD] Weird problem

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Jan 11 08:52:34 CST 2012

Tina,

All I did was create a field which I called TimeStamp and make it a data type timestamp.  AFAIK you
can call the field anything you want but calling it TimeStamp seemed useful to me.

If I go into my table and view data, that field just shows 'binary', i.e. you cannot see the actual
value at least doing it the way I am doing it.

I did not have to go backfill or anything.  And my problem with that one record was instantly gone.
  I went back to my access app, relinked and tried to edit the problem record, in the table and in
the form, and there was no problem any more.

As everybody says, it is not actually a time stamp and it is not in fact even a date / time data
type, it is binary apparently.  AFAICT the sole purpose is to allow clients to get the "timestamp"
when they are trying to modify the record.  When it is time to actually do the save they can compare
the "timestamp" they got against what is currently in the record and if they are different then the
record has been modified since they pulled the data.

According to this:

Timestamp is being deprecated in favor of RowVersion however in my version of SQL Server RowVersion
is not a data type whereas timestamp is.

I dunno...

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away