[AccessD] Sleuthing - query has become non-updateable

Doug Steele dbdoug at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 11:27:01 CST 2012

Yes, the table definition change has happened to me at least three times
(in the last 5 years), on two different client databases.  I know this for
sure - I had the worst day ever in my programming career the first time it
happened.  My client had about 10 employees sitting on their hands, he was
frantic, and I was working on a laptop away from my office.  It took me
nearly a full day to figure out what had happened, as, of course, I never
thought of checking the actual table definition.  No table related to the
corrupt table would update, as the relationships had disappeared.  I just
assumed I had a bizarre multi table corruption issue.  Once I saw what the
problem was, I was able to remove the bad duplicate key records, force the
autonumber back into sequence, restore the bad records, make the field a
key again and restore the relationships.  I didn't have to fully rebuild
the table, fortunately.

Doug