[AccessD] Access 2K subforms bound to SQL Server.

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 14:02:54 CST 2012

When I first took the deep dive into ADP project formats, I quickly
discovered that a good way to deal with master-detail forms was to bind the
master to a view and the detail to another view. Access was quite able to
handle the relationships, and performance was quite acceptable, even with
about 70+ simultaneous users.

As I learned more, I gradually moved on to sprocs instead of views, but I
would suggest that you follow the same path: first do it using views, and
get that working (that's easy!). Then and only then move on to sprocs,
which are a little bit trickier -- not impossible, by any means, but more
complicated than the simple Views approach to this problem. In my first
case, there were about 50K Customers, with maybe 5 orders each, and maybe
5-10 details on each order. The "Views" approach was quite able to handle
this.

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 1:16 PM, Charlotte Foust
<charlotte.foust at gmail.com>wrote:

> I remember the problem in 2000.  It was resolved in 2002.  Have you tried
> using a recordset based on a view?  I can't recall whether that made a
> difference or not.  The alternative if you can't persuade them into
> upgrading is to go completely unbound and the forms and use code to manage
> the reads/writes/edits/deletions.  I used the unbound option a LOT when I
> was working in 2000.
>
> Charlotte Foust
>
> --
Arthur
Cell: 647.710.1314

Prediction is difficult, especially of the future.
  -- Niels Bohr