[AccessD] Tonya.Miller

Darryl Collins darryl at whittleconsulting.com.au
Sun Jan 22 23:05:05 CST 2012

Actually, I think it does have a lot to do about password use.  Using the SAME password and email combo with external sites is where the weakness lies - regardless of how "strong" the password is.

For example if you are using the same email account and password for both your email password login. (ie Myemail at yahoo.com.au with the password "Frogger") as being a registered user of the "OneEyedNews" comments section (so using "Myemail at yahoo.com.au"  and "Frogger" password on the "OneEyedNews" site is the risk.  A lot of folks do this as it is easier to recall just one password related your email account.

Here's why, Because if the hacker can get the password and email details from "OneEyedNews", the can then use that combination to attempt to login to your email account.  If the password is the same and they get access then you are at their mercy.  They can either use your account without your knowledge, or lock you out of your own account (Change your own password to "Frogger2") and use the "Forgot Password" link on any other website you can use - many of which the can find out from your saved emails etc.

In many cases clicking on the "Forget Password" link results in the site emailing you a new password or a link to reset your password the site.  Clearly if this is a bank then your money is at risk - this is what happened in his example.

So the warning is not to use you same email account and password combination.  The lesson is to use a basic and throwaway type password that is wildly different to the ones you use to access your email account you signed up with when signing up to any external sites.

Cheers
Darryl