[AccessD] Compression slows down MDB

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 11:01:48 CST 2012

Perhaps because I often upgrade Access apps to SQL BEs, I've got into the
habit of finding all these occurrences and replacing them with named
queries. I wrote a simple little utility that finds all these "offending
occurrences" and lists them, so I can walk the list of forms, etc. and
replace them all with named queries. That part (the replace) isn't
automated, but assuming that I walk the list, it does eliminate them all.

In case there's a chance that you'll ever migrate an Access app to use a
SQL BE, then I suggest that you follow this path. It makes things far
easier.

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Jim Dettman <jimdettman at verizon.net>wrote:

> <<Very impressive knowledge Jim.>>
>
>  Not really; you just have to hang around long enough<g>
>
> <<I was unaware of the fact that SQL built on-the-fly actually had a temp
> query associated with it.>>
>
>  I should have been clearer; it's only if a SQL statement is used in a
> record source or row source.  SQL in VBA code doesn't get treated that way.
> It's only for Access objects.
>
> <<Is it easy to associate the tilde queries with the corresponding VBA
> statements I wonder ?>>
>
> --
Arthur
Cell: 647.710.1314

Prediction is difficult, especially of the future.
  -- Niels Bohr