[AccessD] Burn-out

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 31 11:26:45 CST 2012

I have been watching this discussion with some interest.

I have basically worked as a free-lancers for almost 35 years. I have
discovered that I either work alone or have to be in charge.

Working with a group has quite another dynamic. I had my own company, for a
number of years. That was a total burn-out...seven days a week, minimum of
12 hours a day for over two years. I worked as senior developer for another
company for a few more and had to learn how to set standards, break up
projects into components, managing those components, assign tasks, monitor
production, assemble the pieces and testing, testing and testing some more.

Sometimes things went together without issues but that was rare...mostly the
engineering looked like a bridge, starting at two sides of the rivers and
not meeting exactly in the middle. (Something like Access and Excel.)

I think it is one of the toughest task to manage a group of super creative
people...as they have a tendency to loose focus and wander. They are very
sensitive, they don't take orders well...expect fights, tears and sulking.
There is of course the accountant type programmer and they are good at the
straight ahead stuff and they tend to have a memory like a steel-trap but
don't expect an brilliance from a meat and potatoes type fellow.

The other thing to remember is that no matter how beautiful the code is the
client cares nothing about that and they only thing they like is a pretty
interface and an application the works. The truth is some hacker that pours
out spaghetti code but makes a pretty front end looks like a star. Looks are
more important than anything else...good looks always says quality.

Any time you have your own business, you can burn out. You just have to
learn to set standards, work reasonable hours and try and remember you are
not twenty any more and you do have a family with greater responsibilities.

Jim