[AccessD] Burn Out

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 14:17:34 CST 2012

Despite the fact that I just received an invitation to bid on an Access
2003/2010 contract yesterday, I am convinced that the market for said
development is, and that the market in C# is looking far more fertile than
the market for VBA, and the market for SQL DBA/Dev skills (+BIDS +SSIS
+SSAS) is more fertile yet.

This morning's bid for an Access Dev is the first such nibble I've received
in months or even a year. In said year, I've been called upon to deliver
some enhancements to apps I wrote a few years back, but I've found almost
no nibbles on new Access projects. That's OK by me, since the little I've
learned so far about C# totally eclipses my decade+ of Access development
skills.C# totally Rocks! And I've barely begun to scratch the surface. But
I am sold Sold SOLD on its profound superiority. It makes Access look like
a DOS app.

Granted, I still haven't figured out lots of things in C#, but I did manage
to write an RTF MDI text editor, and it required about 30 lines of code.
Wow!

I don't think I'm quite ready to start billing for work in C#, but give me
a few more months and I will be.
Arthur