[AccessD] Svar: What to do? (was: Just Another Old Boys Club)

Charlotte Foust charlotte.foust at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 21:13:02 CDT 2012

The Ex-Admins from Windows Secrets Lounge, nee Woody's Lounge, did that and
created Eileen's Lounge.  It runs on a host in the UK, the PPHbb is
maintained from New Jersey, and most of the admin/moderation is done by 4
guys in the UK (2), Australia (1), and the Netherlands (1 with 12
fingers!). I'm a gray emminence there these days, but I drop in
occassionally.

But seriously, moving to Facebook or Google Plus or some other social
network, or to WordPress, would be a viable alternative for a broader
spectrum list without the heavy duty overhead.  It would still involve a
certain amount of admin and moderation, but that could be handled using the
available tools in the host format.  It might be a way to get a search
function that actually finds stuff too!  There would have to be a plan to
manage downloads (and moderation and limits on uploads), but if it were
sharing problems we've solved, or neat tricks with demos, etc., I think it
would attract some of the people who enjoy dragging colored rectangles
around on their tablets as well as mossybacks like us.  Have you tried to
find help on Access lately?  I'm glad I still have my library to fall back
on.

Charlotte