[AccessD] Strange append query execution Access to Oracle ODBC

Benson, William (GE Global Research, consultant) Benson at ge.com
Tue Jul 31 00:59:08 CDT 2012

Stuart,

I used this SQL:

INSERT INTO SOLARCONNECT_GIBIX_EMPLOYEE ( USERID, FIRST_NAME, LAST_NAME, MIDDLE_INITIAL, EMAIL_ADDRESS, PHONE_NUMBER, EMPLOYEE_CODE, GESSOUID, PRIVILEGE, CREATED_DT, LASTMODIFIED_BY, LASTMODIFIED_DT, LAST_LOGIN_DT )
SELECT GIBIX_EMPLOYEE.USERID, GIBIX_EMPLOYEE.FIRST_NAME, GIBIX_EMPLOYEE.LAST_NAME, GIBIX_EMPLOYEE.MIDDLE_INITIAL, GIBIX_EMPLOYEE.EMAIL_ADDRESS, GIBIX_EMPLOYEE.PHONE_NUMBER, GIBIX_EMPLOYEE.EMPLOYEE_CODE, GIBIX_EMPLOYEE.GESSOUID, GIBIX_EMPLOYEE.PRIVILEGE, GIBIX_EMPLOYEE.CREATED_DT, GIBIX_EMPLOYEE.LASTMODIFIED_BY, GIBIX_EMPLOYEE.LASTMODIFIED_DT, GIBIX_EMPLOYEE.LAST_LOGIN_DT
FROM GIBIX_EMPLOYEE;

Also, I think it would be better through Access than through importing text files (SQL Developer) for one reason, I have to do it one by one in SSQL Developer unless I want to write control files for SQL LOADER; and for another thing, Access would handle the data conversions for me. When I export to text files, the dates look like   1/1/2010, whereas Oracle is expecting dates to look like 1-Jan-10... When I did this with the import feature, I had to abandon the dates. There is probably a simple way to get around this but I did not really need the few date fields in the data. But if I did, I would be screwed, pardon my French.

So I am still wondering, could I initiate the query, then check the row count in SQL DEVELOPER and if I see an equal rowcount, just hit escape to abort Access's other due diligence?