[AccessD] OT - Valve and Blizzard Execs Condemn Windows 8 as 'a catastrophe'

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Tue Jul 31 04:40:11 CDT 2012

Hi Hans --

Thank you for your detailed reply: I'd still hope that are mainly fears...

Yes, games development for Windows 8 Runtime/tablets will require to learn new technologies:

The future of game development on Microsoft platforms
http://www.billreiss.com/the-future-of-game-development-on-microsoft-platforms/

and Windows 8 RT/tablet Windows Market promise to be "MS owned and driven" but you'd still be able to continue distributing Windows 8 desktop games as you did before for WinxP, Vista, Win7 - so an option to develop games for WinRT platform is a new option, which can only help to expand your business? (after all with a proper game's UI interface abstraction layer it shouldn't be that a big technical challenge to implement Win8 RT UI?)

For "mere mortals" application developers WinRT development wouldn't require to have that much new development concepts to master(?) provided you have a good working experience with .NET, WPF and Silverlight... How does the new Windows 8 Runtime (WinRT) compare to Silverlight and WPF?
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7416826/how-does-the-new-windows-8-runtime-winrt-compare-to-silverlight-and-wpf?lq=1
And Windows 8 desktop mode development will remain the same...
We will see - ( I have here all the three main competitors to compare: Andorid tablet and two Android phones of my son, Android (power HTC) phone and iPad of my sister, my own Windows Phone 7.5 with Metro style interface: I have noted already the latter one seems to be more modern and innovative, I hope I'm not subjective in this my current "technology perception", I can be wrong. We will see...

Thank you.

-- Shamil