[AccessD] Whilst on Windows 8

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Mon Jun 11 23:41:55 CDT 2012

The only problem with your forecast is that Microsoft is playing long term and anything can happen in the next 5 years, so their strategy can fail easily. Things change very quickly these days.

Perhaps users are scared of Linux now and Apple may be a bit more costly than businesses are willing to pay for, but I am certain somebody is going to see a gap in the market and come out with a product. Microsoft is shooting themselves in the foot. Monopolies never last.

Imagine if Google released their own Linux distro (and I don't mean chrome os)? Just their brand recognition would be enough to cause a shift, but this is an assumption. What's more likely is that people will start ditching desktops and laptops in favour of devices like tablets and Microsoft is in serious trouble if that happens, because they will have no credibility if they are willing to upset their users like this.

Windows 8 is the mark of an end of an era, where MS was a complete monopoly. We are now going back to a world with different fiefdoms and a bit of uncertainty.

- Hans