[AccessD] OT: Win8 Preview (32bit) on Oracle Virtual Box (32bit) or VMWare Workstation 8 (32bit)?

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Sun Jun 17 12:46:37 CDT 2012

Hi Jim --

> Yes, you can just connect to the image and install easily.
Are you kidding? :)

Did you get Win8 Preview installed under Oracle Virtual Box 4.1.16 (latest official release)?

I have tried and I have got:

Your PC needs to restart
Please hold down the pwoer button
Error Code: 0x0000005D
Parameters:
0x03060F06
0x756E6547
0x49656E69
ox6C65746E

see: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49898

I have also tried to use Virtual PC on Win 7 and I have got:

HAL_INITIALIZATION FAILED

http://techibee.com/windows-8/windows-8-hal_initialization-failed-you-pc-ran-into-a-problem-that-it-couldnt-handle-and-now-it-needs-to-restart/1110

They say (in the above link) that Win8 Preview can be only installed on:

Hyper-V in Windows 8 Developer Preview
Hyper-V in Windows Server 2008 R2
VMware Workstation 8.0 for Windows
VirtualBox 4.1.2 for Windows

But latest official Virtual Box setup has version # 4.1.16.

Should I try to get v.4.1.2 from here?

http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.1.2/

Questions, questions...

Or I should better purchase VMWare Worstation 8.0 license - a bit expensive but it should be a useful software not only to install Win8 Preview but for many other purposes?

Thank you.

-- Shamil

Wed, 13 Jun 2012 11:07:34 -0700 от "Jim Lawrence" <accessd at shaw.ca>:
> Yes, you can just connect to the image and install easily.
>
> http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-install-windows-8-on-virtua
> lbox/
>
> The above link may help.
>
> Note: Make sure your processor supports Virtualization Technology and is
> enabled. Windows 8 will not work if your processor does not support
> Virtualization Technology. (Most computers have the technology but it is not
> necessarily started...You can start it from a setting in your BIOS)
>
> Jim
<<< snip >>>