[AccessD] LogMeIn (was: Office 365 Re: You Guys make Me Sick)

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Jun 24 14:47:49 CDT 2012

And as an addition we also have plain old Hamachi, which is still free for
six or less connections per workgroup (you do have unlimited workgroups). It
is excellent as it is almost as fast as an FTP connection, totally secure
and will slide under most fire-walls. (It is the core transfer layer in
LogMeIn and they can be installed side by side on client's computer with no
issues.)

Also there is TeamViewer which works on all platforms even your Smartphones,
iPads and so on. I use it to do remote support of Linux computers and it has
been very reliable and fast. Much faster and more reliable than UltraVNC
which I previously used. I know real men and women do not use anything but
PuTTY...no fancy GUI for them but I am too lazy and really like the
convenience of pretty graphics. ;-)

Here is a link to a list of 10 remote applications. Most have a free
entrance level version with various levels of functionality:
http://www.itpro.co.uk/625588/top-10-remote-desktop-applications
Even though full version cost a few bucks it is great to be able to control
your servers from you Smartphone or iPhone.

Then there is Netmeeting which comes on all Windows computers. You will have
to download it for Win7 but it will allow full remote access. If you need to
access any Windows servers, they all automatically have a 3 license copy of
TermServer (Cyrix), for admin purposes and can be subsequently accessed via
any RDP client...all Linux distros have the client built in and maybe Mac
does as well. Even Windows desktop systems come with the potential of a full
TermServer but they have to be hacked so there can be more than one full
connection allowed.

Unfortunately, the DropBox type applications have data limits, unless you
want to anti-up.

Jim