[AccessD] OT: The things we have to do / know / figure out

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Jun 26 22:53:01 CDT 2012

I installed a driver for my Areca RAID controller on my Windows 2008R2 server.  It seems that the
driver was unsigned.  The next time I booted it refused to boot saying that the driver is unsigned.

I have never run into this before.  It cannot be worked around. There is a selection in the boot
menu to disable driver signing but that only works for that boot cycle.  Thus in order to boot one
has to hit F8 and select that menu item whereupon the system boots (that cycle).

The "accepted practice" is to use this to uninstall the unsigned driver.  PERIOD!

Uhhh excuse me but I need my RAID system.

Anyway after some googling, it appears that there is a "test mode" and a third party app that will
"sign" the driver with an unauthenticated signature file which only works in "test mode".

So an hour later I am booting again but in "test mode" whatever that may be.

Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it