[AccessD] ODBC 3157 Error

Janet Erbach jerbach at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 15:37:13 CDT 2012

We've got an application that uses a SQL backend database with an Access
2003 front end interface.  In mid-November we moved to a new location, and
I've been encountering an error since our  relocation that I never saw
prior to the move.

The error is 'Error = 3157:  ODBC -- update on a linked table failed'.  At
first I thought it was machine specific, so I swapped out the network card
for a new one;  when the error happened again, I swapped the PC out with a
new one.  When it happened again I tried a different data port and a new
network cable.  Not only did the error still occur, it started occurring on
other machines as well.  It's happened in 2 different forms within the
Aaccess front end - one form that I custom wrote and one that came built in
with the system.  The only common thread I see with the errors is that they
have happened with the same table - our 'Inventory' table which has about
8,000 records in it.  I'll get the error trying to save changes to a
record;   5 minutes later (or maybe the next day)  the record will save
just fine.

The research I've done on google hasn't led me anywhere.  Have anyone seen
this error before?  Any hints for me on where I should focus my
troubleshooting efforts?

Thank you.

Janet Erbach
IT Manager