[AccessD] OT: Network speeds

Michael Bahr jedi at charm.net
Tue Mar 20 13:49:14 CDT 2012

Age may effect performace.  Age in that when you purchased the H/W did it
actually support mixed-mode, i.e. 100/1000mbps at the same time or were
there model-options?  What you would need to do is make a list of ALL H/W
devices; routers/switches/NIC's with manufacturer and model number and
investigate each one.  It could be you have a mix that support mix-mode
and not, "dumbs" down to lowest speed.  It also could be inferior cables.

Trouble shooting would be the next step.  Disconnect everything and then
connect the two devices that are the furtherest apart and test.  If you
get faster speeds and are happy then use this as your baseline.  Then one
by one start adding more devices.

I vaguely remember reading an article several years ago that tested actual
transfer speeds bewteen 100mbps and 1gbps.  The difference was Gigibit was
only ~3-4 times faster than 100mbps--not the 10x faster one would think.

Something to think about, Mike...