[AccessD] Another software disaster...

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon May 21 15:22:38 CDT 2012

Hi Mark:

The failure might have even been more rudimentary than that.

IIS has made impressive performance gains in the last little while and it
now matches that of Apache. Both these packages are procedural based, in
that they queue request, in memory. In addition, they only run on one
computer, at a time (one port per computer), when memory capacity is reached
they fail though they can disk swap, to the limits of the OS and hardware on
which they are running.

A recent network managing package is now been used which by design surpasses
performance of both IIS and Apache. I am not an expert or even have basic
knowledge on the new product so I am just quoting from what I have read. I
became aware of it when its apparent adoption level surpassed that of IIS.
It is called Ingenix (pronounced EngineX)

It runs quite differently that Apache or IIS, in that it is event driven. In
a test I read up on it, it could manage 60K hits per second to Apache's and
IIS's respectable 25K per second, using the same equipment. In addition,
when capacity has been reached it can delegate part of it responsibilities
to another computers resources; in other words it has full distributive
capabilities and potentially has unlimited scalability.

Exciting stuff for sure. Note: IngenX is free for download.

Jim