[AccessD] The downside of Cloud Computing

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Nov 2 11:52:51 CDT 2012

There are several issues with "cloud" computing.  The physical communication infrastructure
(connection to the internet) is one and if the access goes down the access goes down.  If you are
doing things between two or more physical locations then you are up the crick so to speak.

A lot of small business however just have a single location so DIS (for example) can limp along if
their internet is down precisely because they host their data internal to their location.  No
internet required to get at the data.

Another issue is if the data itself is in "the cloud" then there is the issue of the cloud servers
going down.  Again if you host your own cloud internal to your facilities then you have more control.

There are pluses to operating "in the cloud" including robustness, expandability, third party
backups.  OTOH we have seen many times in the last year where huge swaths of the internet went down
because those swatchs were in a clout (data center) which croaked for some reason.  It happened to
Microsoft's cloud as well as Amazon's cloud.

I think we are truly in the infancy of this paradigm and in a decade it will be really rock solid,
but it certainly isn't today.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away