[AccessD] [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: I got my Android Jellybean 4.2 update

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Nov 19 09:03:18 CST 2012

 > I like the user concept you spoke about John, especially for setting up accounts for children on
these devices.

Having used it for awhile it has one big caveat.  The big issue I have seen so far is that each user
launches apps and plays games, and when they "sign out" all of that stuff stays loaded and threads
assigned.  After awhile the pad slows down.

It is not possible for even the "owner" to just arbitrarily close an app opened by another user from
inside their own user.  Thus in order to get things moving again I end up logging in to each user
and closing the running apps.

My daughter loves to do the Google World app, zooming in to various places.  She loves to hunt for
"ice cream store" using the voice analyzer and have the map program show her on a map where to go to
get ice cream.  Cool stuff for a developmentally delayed little girl with a speech impediment to be
doing but... there is no way she is going to understand how to clean up behind herself.

It is a real issue but one I am happy to handle when it comes up.  I can also train my wife and
myself to go shut down things which we are no longer using and I can train my son to do the same for
himself and for Allie.  Also a complete power down reboot closes all that stuff as well.

Even shared PCs have this issue of course which has been "overcome" with more powerful CPUs and more
memory.

Android has its roots in single user, "leave it open in the background for the next time"
environment.  I find it encouraging that Google made the effort to give us users at all.  I think
over time we will have the same "fix", more CPUs and more memory.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it